Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Castillo de Bellver!

Sand, my leg, an island.

I took a picture of this pretty street for Marilee to frame and hang in the house.
Me in the castle.
A view from above. The round shape is very different from most Spanish castles.
Here is a window from a defense tower. It is just big enough for an archer to fire at an attacker. This small window made it very difficult for the attacking archers to hit the defenders with their archers.
Here I am in front of the castle's keep. In the event of war, the king would cross the bridge into this building. One inside, they could destroy the bridge if they needed to in order to protect the king.
Above are Nick, Susan (in the back), and Yo at the entrance to the castle!

Hola!

Today was a cloudy day in Palma de Mallorca, but I didn't mind. It was still very warm and I even got a little color! I found a quicker route to take to class which shaved off about 5-10 minutes depending on how many red lights I hit. I went to the university early today to finish my readings for the day and I met a couple of girls from Chicago. They were just finishing up their program and told me a little bit about life in Palma. Unfortunately we couldn't talk long because I had to go to class. Class went well today, I understood a lot more than the past couple days. I have to give a presentation on the quality of life for people in Palma next week. I also have a test on Friday! I'm going to have to study a lot tomorrow.

After class today, my classmates and I went on an excursion to Castillo de Bellver. It is a castle that is rich with history and is over 700 years old! It reminded me of all the castle sieges that I partook in back in my days of a Level 50 Human Bishop when I played Lineage 2 :P ! It was crazy to think of all the feet that have passed through the corridors in the past 700 years and how much has changed since then.

After visiting the castle, myself and 3 of my classmates (Aaron, Conrad, and Nick) decided to go to the beach since we were pretty close already. I volunteered to stay on shore and watch our bags while the others swam. It was nice to lounge with a bocadillo (ham sandwich) and a cerveza (water, not beer mom) in the sand.

After the beach, I met with my frand Lorena for coffee (cafe con leche) at a restaurant in the center of Palma. She helped me with some of my homework, but the directions were kind of vague for her too even though she is a native. While we were talking, a man came in selling DVDs and sunglasses. I browsed his selection and bought Prince of Persia! He wanted me to pay 5 euros, but I ended up getting it for 3 Euros. Its still in theatres in the US, but here there are no laws against downloading and distributing copyrighted movies. I'm going to fit in well here! :D

I have to read some more for class now, so as always, if you want more details about something, ask me in a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment